Peppertown

 




Pepper House, Greek Revival, c. 1865
Church, c.1875,photo c. 2003, C.Goodwin


Koerner Store, house; Federal, c. 1860
photo c. ?

 

      In 1859, John Koerner commissioned the surveyor Fielding Berry to plat off Peppertown. He named it after his business partner,  August Pepper, a calico printer by trade.  Koerner and Pepper were business partners in a General Merchandise store, which was first log, being replaced by stone, the building still stands today as a residence.

      Peppertown is located in Salt Creek Township, an area in which land began to be entered as early as 1811, and by 1859, it was  a growing German community, which Koerner and Pepper hoped to serve.  The community built a log church in 1850, and the brick church that stands today was built in 1875 at a cost of 4,000 dollars.

     Lying in the eastern edge of Salt Creek Township, Peppertown was on the road from Metamora to Batesville, and ideally situated for farming on the higher, flatter ground, with the wooded, green creeks and tributaries of Salt Creek off to it's west.

     In 1915 Peppertown consisted of Louis Koerner’s general merchandise store, Jacob Reifel’s blacksmith shop and the Lutheran church. RFD mail service came out of Metamora. By 1930, a general store, German Lutheran church and grade school served the village of 25 inhabitants. Today, there is a bed and breakfast, the church still stands, as do some of the early buildings, including Koerner's stone store building, which is now a residence.





                                                                Click HERE to return to other Communities.