Raymond

 


Located in the north east corner of Springfield Township, Raymond developed as a farming community, taking advantage of the rich farmlands that resulted from the draining of the wetlands of the township.  It was platted July 27, 1903 by William C. O'Byrne as a railroad station on the Chesapeake & Ohio railway line (Reifel's History, p. 148 and p. 531). Fifty years ago it consisted of twelve houses, six on each side of the railroad tracks. Now there are only three on the west side and one of these is no longer occupied. At one time there was a general store, a sawmill, and a pool room. There was and still is a farm implement business. There is also a grain elevator which no longer operates, but it does sell liquid ammonia. Many years ago there was a blacksmith shop as in most small towns of earlier days. 




                                                            Click HERE to return to other Communities.